Man facing attempted murder charge for alleged shove onto Blue Line tracks

A Chicago man has been charged after allegedly punching and pushing someone onto the tracks at a CTA Blue Line stop in Forest Park this week, local authorities said.

Tommie Carter, 39, faces one count of attempted first-degree murder and three counts of aggravated battery to a police officer.

Forest Park police officers responded to a call of a battery at the Harlem Avenue CTA Blue Line stop just after 8:30 a.m. Monday morning, according to a news release from the department. Officers were told, through the village’s dispatch center, that an elderly man had been punched and was lying on elevated train tracks, police said.

When officers arrived, they found the victim lying on the tracks while Carter was on the train platform. As officers tried to arrest Carter, he “defied verbal orders, actively resisted arrest and fought with officers trying to secure him in handcuffs,” police said. Carter then proceeded to spit on an officer after he was placed in custody, police said.

The victim was transported to Loyola Medical Center in Maywood. Police did not give the victim’s condition.

Further investigation showed that an outbound CTA train was approaching the Harlem station as the victim lay in the tracks, police said. However, the train conductor witnessed the incident and stopped the train just in time.

Cook County court records show Carter is separately facing misdemeanor trespassing, assault and damage to government-supported property charges in a case filed in mid-October and was out on pretrial release when he was arrested this week. Carter was previously convicted in 2023 in two separate cases, one on a felony theft charge and the other for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, according to court records.

Carter was ordered detained in a hearing on Wednesday. His next court appearance is scheduled for Dec. 19.

tkenny@chicagotribune.com

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2025/12/03/chicago-cta-blue-line-attack-forest-park/